- Dit event is voorbij.
Staring-lezing: Mountains, climate and biodiversity
wo 25-10, 16:30–18:00Gratis
Staring-lezing 2017 – Mountains, climate and biodiversity: why geology is important for understanding biological patterns
door dr. Carina Hoorn
Institute for Biodiversity and Ecosystem Dynamics, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands & IKIAM, Universidad Regional Amazonica, Tena, Napo, Ecuador
- 16.30: ontvangst
- 17.00: Staringlezing
- 18.00: borrel
Download hier de flyer: A4_StaringLezing2017.pdf
Geology and biology nowadays mostly form separate research communities. An important connection between the fields is biogeography, the study of animal and plant distribution through space and time. Although geology is crucial in biogeographic reconstructions, geologists play a marginal role in the development of the field. This is unjustified as an integrated approach could lead to more accurate reconstructions of present biological patterns. In particular, the advancement of molecular techniques and methods in estimating surface processes provide new opportunities for such integrated geo-biological research.
In this lecture Carina Hoorn will illustrate this point with examples from South America and Asia, and will also introduce the book ‘Mountains, Climate and Biodiversity’ that is currently in press with Wiley’s. This book provides a platform for a multidisciplinary team of authors who discuss the current state of research at the interface between the geo- and biosphere, and address major questions while presenting examples from mountain systems around the world. Ultimately dr. Hoorn and her co-editors hope that this book will entice geologists and biologists to collaborate, and present new insights into how biodiversity in the world around us took shape.
Selected publications by dr. Carina Hoorn
- Mountains, climate and biodiversity. C.Hoorn, A. Perrigo, A. Antonelli (Eds) (book in press and scheduled for release in February 2018; Wiley)
- Biodiversity from mountain building. Nature Geoscience 6: 154. Hoorn, C., Mosbrugger, V., Mulch, A., Antonelli, A., 2013.
- Amazonia through time: Andean uplift, climate change, landscape evolution and biodiversity. Hoorn, C., Wesselingh, F.P., ter Steege, H., Bermudez, M.A., Mora, A., Sevink, J., Sanmartín, I., Sanchez-Meseguer, A., Anderson, C.L., Figueiredo, J.P., Jaramillo, C., Riff, D., Negri, F.R., Hooghiemstra, H., Lundberg, J., Stadler, T., Sarkinen, T., Antonelli, A., 2010. Science 330: 927-931.
- Andean tectonics as a cause for changing drainage patterns in Miocene northern South America. Hoorn, C., Guerrero, J., Sarmiento, G.A., Lorente M.A., 1995. Geology 23: 234-240.
- See also: https://scholar.google.com/citations?hl=en&user=yECQupMAAAAJ and http://www.uva.nl/profiel/h/o/m.c.hoorn/m.c.hoorn.html